If someone’s words or actions have caused you to fear for your safety or the safety of your children, you may seek out legal remedy by getting a restraining order.
This is a civil court order that can accomplish the following:
- Removal of the person from your home.
- Instruct the person to stay away from your home, work, and other places you frequent.
- Grant you temporary care and custody of shared children.
- Instruct the person to refrain from contacting you or shared children or limiting that contact.
- Putting requirements in place regarding parenting time and access to shared children.